- 300gm fresh green peas
- 2 tbs fresh chopped parsley
- 2 organic/free range eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tbs of wholemeal spelt flour
- 150gm ricottoa
- pinch of salt and pepper
• Blanch green peas for 1 minute then mash roughly by hand,
not too much, you want to keep them chunky.
• Combine the smashed peas with parsley, egg, lemon zest
and flour in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
• Lastly, add the ricotta, mashing it through the pea mix ;
make sure to leave nice chunky bits of ricotta through the mix.
• Heat a pan over a low heat with a little olive oil.
• Cook spoonfuls of fritter mixture, as you would pikelets or
small pancakes, over a low gentle heat on each side until golden
and cooked through.
Makes 6 green pea fritters.
Green peas belong to the legume family. They are high in fibre, protien and phytonutrients. Containing specific antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients.
Spelt flour has more nutrients and a lower gluten content that normal wheat flour, spelt is a great inclusion in the diet. It also has a lower GI level, therefore not causing a spike in blood sugar levels like many white processed flours can.